As a patient, you have certain rights, and understanding your rights will help you to get the best possible care. At The West Clinic, we will make every effort:
- To treat you with consideration and respect in a safe setting.
- To protect your privacy by keeping all communications and records about your care confidential. In general, you have the right to see all the information in your health records.
- To clearly explain all West Clinic policies and regulations.
- To provide clearly written and spoken information in words you can understand.
- To provide all the information you need to make an informed decision about your care, including information about your options, risks and benefits, possible outcomes, possible side effects, who is providing your care and costs.
- To respect your advance directives (living will or durable power of attorney for health care), which express your wishes about resuscitation and other end-of-life decisions.
- To respect your decision to refuse care.
- To provide effective relief from pain and respect your right to refuse pain control.
- To provide you with all available information about possible research participation and obtain your informed consent.
- To give you the opportunity to examine and receive an explanation of your bill regardless of source of payment.
- To allow you to express a concern or complaint and receive a prompt response. You also have the right to file a formal grievance if you are not satisfied with the resolution of your complaint.
We ask that our patients and visitors make every effort to:
- Consider the rights of others and treat them with respect.
- Ask us for clear explanations and make informed decisions about your care and treatment.
- Relate full information about your health, medical history and insurance.
- Provide us with your advanced directive information.
- Follow the recommended treatment plan and keep your follow-up appointments or notify us when unable to do so.
- Know what medications you are taking, why you are taking them and the proper way to take them according to your doctor’s order.
- Inform care providers of your level of pain and the effectiveness of provided treatment.
- Alert your health care provider if you have concerns or feel your rights have not been properly respected.
- Pay bills promptly and contact us if you have any questions or financial problems.